Today is a good day. I finished my Indian Fabric tunic and last night we finally heard from Oliver, who’s been rock climbing through Patagonia on an epic four month long trip. The type of trip you take when you’re a twenty one year old eager to see the world, and unencumbered by responsibilities.. It had been a month that we hadn’t heard from him, as there is no internet or phone service in those Chilean mountains, but yesterday he was in a town buying food supplies so he gave us a call. And was I relieved to see him happy and healthy on the small screen of the phone!
So about this tunic. I’m quite happy with how it turned out, actually. I bought the Indian hand printed fabric bought from The Delhi Store on Etsy. It’s an organic cotton voile block printed with vegetable dyes. Such pretty fabrics in this shop!
I didn’t order quite enough, so I had to get creative with my pattern piecing. But it worked out. The sleeves were cut on the crossgrain to show off the border at the sleeves. This Simplicity 1461 pattern had some fitting issues for me. I cut the size D cup but it was huge in the bust, so I had to fit it a lot. Taking it apart and resewing after I serged it. Aaargh! My armholes are digging in still, but I can live with it. I lowered the neckline and created a new design, as well as adding a band around the neck. It was snug around the hips so I added the hem slits and then sewed a band of the border around it to give it more interest. I like tunics with a split at the hem.
I pinned out fullness in the princess line; shortened the front piece which was way too long, had to fiddle around with the armhole shape which had been messed up because I shortened the bodice piece, I think the armholes are too deep now, and I reinforced the new lower neckline with interfacing..
The binding piece I added is a little off….because I folded the seam allowance under and top stitched. Not a great idea.Back view. There’s a center seam with some shaping. I like that the tunic is fitted and not too huge.
Thanks for stopping by!