This was fun project because it involved teaching my older daughter a bit of pattern drafting and sewing. She wanted a cropped peasant blouse inspired by a little vintage German style folk dress she loves wearing but which is falling apart. I was having a hard time figuring out what she wanted, so I asked her to make a sketch. What she wanted was a peasant type top with a fitted under bodice. Kind of like the new Gertie Charmed pattern.I got out my rusty, (not literally), pattern making tools. I showed her how to draft a raglan pattern, using one of my old pattern making books. Because it wasn’t fitted, it didn’t need to be very precise. I drew the raglan pattern then drew a line threw it below the bustline to create a seam and cut the rest off. I then draped the bottom portion on my dress form which is the same as Isabelle’s measurements. The bottom piece is just one piece which I sewed ribbon to, to create the illusion of a tie up bodice. Since this was sewing lesson, I tried to keep it as simple as possible.
The excess fabric from the top is gathered and sewn into the fitted waist bodice part. I didn’t make a muslin and this is a little messy! I can see now I may want to add princess seams and maybe even boning if I make this again. I think this would make a cute top to an Oktoberfest dress.
As it stands, it’s looks really cute with Isabelle’s high waisted jeans to wear to an Oktoberfest party. Sorry, I couldn’t get a picture of her in it but she looked so cute. She’s back at college now.
I ended up sewing the zipper for her, and the neckline and sleeves have a simple casing with 1/4 elastic threaded through. Isabelle has never shown much interest in sewing before and it was fun working with her. I hope we can make more stuff together in the future!