More My Fair Lady costumes and my first hat!

So I finished making the costumes for Eliza of My Fair Lady!  Using only fabric from my stash and things from my own wardrobe. I am so glad to be done! I’m reviewing a couple costume patterns, too.Reconstructing history 1910 empire costumeI made this skirt from the 1910 Ladies Empire costume from Reconstructing History. I was planning on making the blouse that comes with this pattern too, but ran out of time as my daughter was sick all week so I had very little sewing time. She’s better now, thank goodness. Sometimes life gets in the way of my ambitious sewing plans. The blouse is mine, an old one from Boden, and the hat is also from my costume collection.Reconstructing history 1910 empire costumeI love the high waist on the skirt and the shaping is done with darts. These patterns are based on actual antique garments. The directions show how to make a buttoned placket along the front or back princess seam, but I added a zipper so our actress can change in and out of it quickly. She has six costume changes!side This could use a little hook and eye at the top to conceal the top of the zipper. There are no side seams but darts, instead.Reconstructing history 1910 empire costumeI also added boning to the seams to give more structure to the skirt and keep it flat. I like the graceful curve of the waistline in the back. I’m thinking of making one of these skirts just to wear as an everyday skirt. It’s so much prettier than your average maxi skirt.squareRH1050frontcoverHere is a drawing of the pattern. It would be nice if these patterns included line drawings as I had imagined the skirt to be more of a hobble skirt look than what I ended up with, which is more flared and like a skirt from the turn of the century rather than one from 1915. But it still works. I recommend this pattern . It does run a little big, though.flowergirlcostumeThis costume Eliza wears before her makeover includes a hat I made , a simple skirt I made with no pattern, and an old Marc Jacobs coat of mine. And a thrifted top I use in almost every play I work on.Butterick 4210 1900 hatThis was my first time making  a period hat from scratch and I was really disappointed with the outcome. It was supposed to be the Ascot hat, but ended up much too shabby looking. It was perfect for Eliza’s flower girl look, though! Below are a few photos of my process. This was my first time working with wire and buckram and fusible web. I now realize the crown was too short and I should have used a thicker buckram.Butterick 4210 1900 hatI used this out of print pattern. Butterick 4210. Bottom left view.cuttingLast week I found a bunch of rayon covered hat makers wire at an estate sale for two bucks. Great timing!hatmakingAfter fusing the fabric to buckram with fusible web, the wire is hand stitched to the edge then covered with bias tape.hattopOn the crown, too.crownThis crown was looking very short once I was done. It was only about an inch a half tall. The hat looked oddly flat….Butterick 4210 1900 hatSo I covered it with flowers. I still needed an Ascot hat.Refashioned Ascot hatI had a giant floppy hat bought at H & M. I stitched the wire to the edges to make it less floppy and then glued some beaded trim on the edge to hide it. I added some of the lace from the dress to the crown and sewed on an existing feather hairpiece I had. It’ll be worn with this dress for the Ascot scene…1915 Ascot dressRefashioned Ascot hatAnd then there is the ballroom dress I already blogged about.1915 silk ball gown….and the opening outfit I don’t have a photo of. lace insertion pintuck yoke

I never did get around to making the blouse for this yoke.

On to some everyday sewing now!

Me Made May is starting and I’d like to make myself a few things for a change!

Happy sewing!

Share Button
-McKenzie

Comments

  1. Doris Rebeiro says

    Beautiful. I want to make something from my stash. Thanks and love.

  2. says

    It’s never occurred to me that you can add boning to a skirt. How clever! I agree, the skirt is very pretty and classy.