December is here and the weather is finally starting to cool down so I was inspired to sew another sweatshirt. Sweatshirts are all over the stores and blogs this season. I guess I’m no exception since I’ve made two and am working on a third one. I know I will be wearing this one I made from a cotton French terry knit a lot. It’s sooo comfy and I like the slightly seventies retro vibe of it. This was another version of McCall’s 6992, making this pattern a great value since I bought it at the JoAnn sale for $1.50. It looks almost identical to a popular indie pattern a a lot of bloggers have been sewing up.
Not as flashy as my pleather and wool knit version here but very serviceable for hanging around our old, unheated house. We’d have to tear up the walls to install central heating. So we live in socks, robes and sweaters for a few months out of the year. And run those plug in radiators.
I really like this fabric . It’s got that terry cloth texture on the inside so it’s not too hot. I bought it at the Micheal Levine Loft where the fabrics are sold by the pound. I probably used 75 cents of the fabric here making the total production cost about $ 1.25 if I spread out the cost of the pattern! The fabric there is only 2.50 a pound, BUT it’s hit or miss in quality and the ribbing was given to me. We’ll see if it holds up in the wash. The last fabric I used bought there was on my Colette Myrtle dress. The cotton modal print fabric ran like crazy when I washed it, so It was ruined. Which was super annoying since I really loved that dress. I’ve been shopping at more expensive places since, places like Mood and The Fabric Store, since I’ve had bad experiences with cheap fabrics bought in the garment district.I hand dyed the ribbing to match the brown fabric. All I had on hand was pink ribbing but I did have cocoa brown dye, so I dipped the ribbing in it. It’s a little uneven, this dye job, but it worked pretty well. I didn’t notice those loose threads either until now! And I think I stretched out the ribbing a little too much at the neckline. I’ve been working on my neckline binding technique and this one needs some work.
Practice makes perfect!