My kids go to a small Catholic school and every year they have a big fundraiser for the school. This year the gala event was held at The Ronald Reagan Library.
I decided to make a First Communion dress to auction off with all of the proceeds going to the school. That’s what I spent Friday and Saturday doing. My son was singing in the choir at the auction and leaving at 4 to set things up. I finished this dress at about 3:30! It felt like one of those Project Runway moments. I had planned on sewing hand beading to the neck and sleeves but I didn’t have time so I just had to “Make It Work.”
The dress was made from silk shantung and had a petticoat and silk roses on a silk organza sash. I pretty much drafted the whole thing except for the bodice piece I used from a Simplicity pattern. I drafted the sleeves because I have yet to find a cute little girls dress pattern with a cap sleeve. The whole thing cost me about thirty five dollars in fabric and it auctioned off at 200 dollars! That’s what I call a markup!
Here is my son who is making a very rare appearance on my blog. I can’t believe he is turning 18 this Saturday.
Me and the hubs. My daughter did my hair and makeup. She followed a smoky eye tutorial on You Tube and she did a very good job!