Today I’m sharing a top I made using the basic shirt sloper that I demonstrated draping last Friday. I had almost a yard of some beautiful Liberty of London fabric and I wanted to make something very simple to show it off. I was originally going to make a little dress for one of my girls but was then like, “No, I’m sorry. If I’m spending thirty eight dollars a yard AND paying a fortune to have this yard of fabric shipped from England I’m making something for ME.This is the sloper transferred to manila without seam allowance.
did think it looked a little boxy so I added a center seam and shaped it to make it more form fitting but not so form fitting that I can’t put it over my head. However, I think I may have taken it in a little too much. And I should have made it a little longer. I didn’t bother with a muslin. Probably not a good idea when working with fabric this expensive! I ‘m way too impatient to make muslins most of the time. Plus, I couldn’t find where I put my muslin I bought last week.
I need to organize my fabrics. When I can’t find things anymore it’s time to spend the day folding things and reacquainting myself with my fabric stash. It tends to get stuffed in these plastic bins in my back room. And I’m not going to show that…
I really love this Liberty print. I originally saw it on a girls dress in the J Crew summer catalog and could not find it ANYWHERE except for one seller on E Bay and it had to be shipped from England.This top was so easy to make! The sleeves are simply double folded and stitched down and so is the hem. I used bias tape at the neck. An hour tops to make it.