First pair of Ginger jeans!

Ginger jeansGinger jeans

Pattern: Ginger jeans. High rise version shortened to mid rise.

Size made: 8

Fitting adjustments: Shortened the rise by one inch. Shortened legs three inches by cutting panels into the knee and seaming them, removing three inches. The back piece was cut from the bottom.

Fabric: Light grey stretch denim bought in downtown LA for two dollars a yard; two yards used.

Ginger jeans Ginger jeans

Now it’s my turn to say, “I made jeans!”

Better late than never, right?

This pattern is awesome! It fit! And the directions and sew along were excellent!

ginger4

Making jeans is time consuming for sure, but it so worth it! I worked on these a little bit every day all last week. There are lots of steps, but they aren’t hard. Switching between my top stitch thread and regular thread took a bit of time.

This was my wearable muslin and I love them! They were too long and the knees were really wrinkly. I read that they should be shortened during pattern cutting at the knees, not the hem. It was too late as I had already cut them out, so I cut into the knees , creating three seams that give a bit of a cool biker look. The result was the pants were shortened by three inches since the three seams had 1/2 inch seam allowances each. A cool cheat, right?Ginger jeans

I have muscular calves, what with all my cross fit classes and playing on the tennis team, so I had to sew the calves with a scant 1/4 inch seam allowances as they were so tight below my knees. I could probably size up on these jeans, but this denim is very stretchy and had great recovery so I’m happy with this pair.ginger6 ginger9My town has all the cool murals.Ginger jeans

The pictures are pretty bright, so it’s kind hard to see my yellow top stitching and knee panels. Thanks to my Lily for getting these cool shots and scouting out this location. Ginger jeans

It took a little while to figure out my pocket placement and I basted them on first, and basted the jeans together to make sure I liked them. They were a little too low at first, so I raised them up about 3/8 of an inch and that was a big improvement. There was a great post on Heather’s blog about pocket placement. There were lots of great posts about jeans making and I thoroughly enjoyed the process, thanks to her thorough instructions and great photos and diagrams. I totally recommend this pattern. It was a relief to sew up something that fit well without a bazillion adjustments.

I shortened the rise them by one inch into a mid rise using this tutorial on the CCF blog.ginger15 ginger16 ginger17 gingerfrontThey aren’t perfect, but I’m happy! Besides, perfect is overrated.

Next time I’ll move the buttonhole over, add rivets , and maybe lengthen them a tiny bit.

Thanks for stopping by and checking out my Ginger jeans!

Save

Share Button
-McKenzie

Comments

  1. Dagmar says

    Hi Justine,
    These look terrific on you and it is hard to believe that they are your first version…Well Done!

  2. Jennifer says

    These look great! You are my sewing hero! I don’t know that I would ever attempt that. I haven’t been sewing for very long and have really only made myself a couple things. I mainly make my daughter dresses. I should venture out. You are awesome!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *