Elephant’s Graveyard Costumes and Jodhpurs tutorial !
If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my Bloglovin' feed. Thanks for visiting!
I have been super busy all week sewing costumes for The Elephant’s Graveyard.
There I am in the credits!
I have the costumes about 80% complete and tonight was the first run through with the cast wearing some of the pieces I have made for them.
This play has a lot of sewing involved and I am learning a lot working on projects I would never make for myself or the girls.
This is the first time I have sewed menswear and I actually enjoy it.
There is a crispness to it.
I am so grateful for being able to get paid to do something I love.
I am really happy with how these jodhpurs turned out. There were no patterns available that I could find so I altered a pattern for some high waisted mens trousers.
I used McCall’s 4745, a civil war uniform.
This pattern is perfect because it has a high waist. I shortened the legs and and drew the exaggerated hip found on jodhpurs, narrowing the leg at the bottom. It’s really a simple thing to do and you don’t need to search for jodhpur patterns for hours like I did!
This is how I redrew the pattern for the jodhpurs. Just widen the hip and narrow the bottom legs, Shorten the legs too.
I used Simplicity 2895 for this vest with welt pockets.
I also made the black frock coat pictured for another character but I haven’t taken a photo yet.
I may have to make the shirt for one of the characters because we can’t find anything in his size 52.
This was the first time I made welt pockets! I was so happy that I could do it. It was one of those sewing techniques that always scared me. They aren’t perfect and I still need more practice.
I used a Reconstructing History pattern for this high waisted skirt still being worked on. It doesn’t look like much of anything yet. I tried to dye it brown but the dye didn’t really take. I’m going to try again and add some sort of embellishment to it. I had to work on this pattern quite a bit to get the pattern adjustment for a full abdomen. You have to raise the waistline at the center front. I am learning a lot about fitting different types of bodies on this project.
Here is the actor in my vest. He still needs a shirt and pants. The actress is wearing my muddy colored skirt.
My inspiration photos:
This costume was fun to make. It looks like one of those striped bathing suits from the turn of the twentieth century.
Our strongman is a big man and the director wanted him to wear some shorts over his bodysuit for modesty.
To make the bodysuit I connected a shorts pattern and a tank top pattern from Simplicity 2330, narrowing the pattern a lot for using a stretch fabric. I used the same pattern for the shorts too.
I added a ruffle to my clowns’ jacket because it was a little too short for him.
Here are my clown and strongman at rehearsal. The clown still needs a hat and I have to make some shoes for the strongman.
A few more costumes, the steam shovel operator, the railroad engineer, ballet girl, and strongman. The engineer is wearing my husbands striped overalls and Big Mac jacket!
You made it to the end of the post! Please stop by often for a variety of sewing projects, clothes making tips , and stylish handmade living. Feel free to email me at justine @ sewcountrychick.com if you have questions.