I’ve been wanting some denim type jogging shorts, so I made some by making changes to an existing pattern I’ve already sewn twice. Simplicity 1165, a basic shorts pattern with pockets. I knew the fit was already good, so I didn’t want to fiddle with fitting any new patterns. This shorts pattern is turning out to be a good basic shorts block for me. I used a small piece of denim Tencel type fabric that’s been sitting in my stash for a few years. It feels good to finally use it!
There are pockets in the back and pockets in the front. I tried making two buttonholes in the front waistband to run a drawcord through, like ready to wear versions, but the buttonhole function on my new Bernina 560 is malfunctioning. I’m so mad about that. I like my 1982 vintage Bernina better than this new computerized, overpriced one, which is always stopping my stitching and alerting me that I need to change my bobbin thread, even when I just added a full one.
It looks like I’ve made channels to run smaller elastic through, but this is a 2 inch elastic piece of elastic, which I stretched and topstitched over, to give the look of channels.
The only changes you need to make to a basic shorts pattern to get this jogging shorts look is to make the waistband wider and cut off the hems and curve the side seams for the overlap. I cut two long lengths of 2 inch bias strips from my fabric to finish the bottoms and sides.I traced the origianl piece to freezer paper, then removed the hem from the original pattern piece since it won’t be hemmed, but trimmed with the bias strips all the way around.
I also curved the side seams as shown. Instead of sewing the side seams together, the front of the shorts are overlapped onto the back piece and topstitched.The order of sewing is also a little different than basic shorts. First, I sewed the pockets, then the center front and center back seams and crotch seams. Then I sewed the bias tape all the way around each side.Then I pinned the front over the back , making sure to line up the original side seams so the fit stayed accurate and top stitched in the ditch of the bias trim.Then I sewed on the wider waistband, and then stitched across it at 5/8 inch intervals while stretching the elastic taught, to give the channeled look.I love my new shorts!