Adventures in Pattern Drafting! Fitting The Basic Tee Pattern
November 20, 2012 7 Comments
So I left off on Friday saying I was only going to post on Fridays about the Draft Along and here I am on Tuesday posting about it. There is just too much information to fit into only one post a week I think.
I finished my muslin for my t shirt draft and it looks pretty much OK in this photo. Of course, it’s not actually muslin. I am using the term to mean a practice garment. I have so much unused fabric that I just go ahead and make my practice garments out of it. A good friend came over and helped me organize my fabrics and I gave away two large trash bags full of it! I hope it finds a good home. My friend owns a preschool so they will use some of it for collage and other fun projects. She is amazing. If you live near Malibu, California, you should sign your kids up at her preschool, the Center Of Ocean Learning. Deanne is the best. I considered posting photos of the big clean out but I am actually too embarrassed to show the world what a pathetic fabric and craft materials hoarder I am.
Anyway, this is a lightweight sweater knit I bought awhile ago on sale with some matching metallic green pleather which I have never had an occasion of which to use it for. Hmm.. somehow country living doesn’t really give a reason to wear a metallic green pleather anything.
There was only one yard of this mystery fabric sweater knit so it was perfect for my t shirt. I used to have a bad habit of only buying a yard when I would find interesting fabrics. I have since realized that it’s better to buy two or three yards. You can’t make much with only a yard for adults except maybe a simple top or an A line skirt, and if you make a mistake you are out of luck because you won’t have enough fabric to cut a new piece of anything. Well, actually you can make a lot of things with only one yard of fabric, but definitely not a dress… and I love to make dresses.
I left the binding off the neck, finishing it and the hems with my rolled hem feature on my serger. I wasn’t sure how the top would fit so I didn’t want to invest too much time in finishing the details! I just have to mention how much I love my serger. I think it is the most money I have ever spent on a piece of machinery besides my car, but I don’t regret it. It’s a Babylock Imagine with a feature called Air Threading. It is so easy to thread and you can thread it in any order. Plus, it has automatic tension adjusters built in so it readjusts tension for different weight fabrics. I never used to use my old serger because it was such a nightmare to thread and I was always getting the tension messed up.
Upon closer inspection of my working muslin, you can see here that I made a glaring pattern making mistake. Look how far my side seams and armhole extend out! Boy did I do a bad job taking my own measurements. This armhole is really cut badly so I had to shave off about an inch and a half from my pattern at the armhole. I also removed 1/2 inch at each side seam at the armholes on the bodice pieces.
After making my pattern adjustments I stapled my lightweight paper patterns to my manila paper, then cut around it so I still have my original pattern on top. I really like this lightweight paper because it is a little transparent so I can also use it to trace patterns from pattern books. I have been working on a Japanese pattern for myself and used this paper to trace the pattern out of the book.
So now that my pattern is all fixed and ready to go I can sew up a new t shirt and I have some grey striped knit fabric ready to go.
If you are participating in the Draft Along, don’t forget to stop by Friday to post your photos of your projects and progress!
I will be starting on the basic button down pattern draft. That one has me biting me nails!