- Trace the front of your A line skirt piece and with your ruler, draw a parallel line from your center front about halfway across the waist line going straight down.
- Mark about 6 or 7 inches down from the waist to mark where the bottom of the sailor flap will be.
- Cut open the line you drew. This will create three pattern pieces. One on the fold in the center, and two side pieces.
- On the side skirt piece, extend from the bottom of the flap mark you drew up until the waist 1.5 inches.
7. Make your facing pieces. Number 7 is the back of the skirt. Trace the top of the skirt and make it three inches wide. For the front do the same but continue down and trace the button extension you drew. That isn’t pictured but look at the red picture on number 3 of the sewing directions to see what it should look like. Sorry about that!
8. Trace the center piece down to the mark line for the flap you drew in step 2 above.
- So there you have your pattern pieces for the front skirt. From this you will cut from your fabric two side front pieces,
- one center front piece on the fold,
- two front facing pieces,
- one front center facing piece cut on the fold,
- one back piece on the fold and
- one back facing piece on the fold.
- Sew the center front facing to the center front piece, right sides together. Clip the edges , turn right side out and iron flat.
- Sew buttonholes onto the center front piece
- Sew the front side skirt pieces to the back skirt piece and do the same with the front side facing pieces and back facing piece. Iron side seams open
- Sew the facing to the skirt
- Sew the sides of the center front piece to the side pieces up from the hem until the bottom of the flap. Sew the buttons onto the side pieces.