I’m getting into my spring sewing projects so I made this Gallery Tunic by Liesl & Co I wanted to sew it in white. I had very thin eyelet cotton gauze in my stash. It’s going to be perfect for hot days, which are right around the corner. Still covered from the sun, but really cool to wear!
I think I’m becoming a ‘fan girl’ of Liesl & Co patterns. I am loving both the adult and the girls patterns as well as all the great resources on the website. I was always staunchly against becoming a fan girl of any patterns the past few years, and made a point of even sewing patterns bought only at Wal Mart for awhile just to show that you don’t need expensive Indie patterns to have a nice handmade wardrobe. And you don’t.
When I first started sewing my own clothes on a regular basis about seven years ago, I had a moment as a Colette fan, but quickly realized that the patterns were not working for me. So I stuck with my actual vintage patterns which seemed to fit my figure better, I know they got a lot of heat last year on Pattern review after ‘Ruegate’ and I hope the changes they have made recently will be good for them. I did have a lot of fun making those Oolong dresses and my Hazel made from a vintage tablecloth even if most of my other makes were pretty awful. Dart points ending above the bust anyone? I have to credit Colette and sites like The Sew Weekly , [remember that one?] for even getting me interested in sewing again. Back then in 2010, a lot of us were sewing vintage styles. Sew weekly and We Sew Retro were fun online communities to be involved with. I wonder whatever happened to Mina, the proprietress of Sew weekly? It was a thriving site and one day it just ended with no explanation.
Nowadays, it seems like the thing in sewing is to make Capsule Wardrobes and sensible everyday wear. I sort of miss those days of sewing up all the frosting! It used to be all frosting and no cake, and now seems to be going the opposite way. Just look at me here in a sensible white tunic!
Isabelle wants to know why everyone in the blogosphere wants to sew up “boring t shirts, button downs, and chinos” these days. She wants to know why someone would want to spend their time to sew a wardrobe that looks like it was bought at Land’s End. She does have a point! She misses my tablecloth dresses.
I made a few changes to this, my first gallery tunic and after making it, I still didn’t like the fit of the armholes, so I made a narrow shoulder adjustment. I’ll sew that next version up soon. I have a black Liberty print that’s perfect. The pattern is very well written and it was much easier to sew it up than I thought it would be. It took about an hour to cut it out and prepare the fabric and about three hours to sew it. I cut a size 4 but ended up taking it in in the sides still more. I really liked how simple the directions made everything.
I’m glad I made a muslin because I needed a really big forward shoulder adjustment. I thought I had good posture until I saw I needed to add over an inch to my back bodice and subtract it from the front to have the shoulder line up correctly. I guess those barre classes can’t erase years of stooping forward. We learn so many fun things about ourselves when we start learning how to fit!
Once I changed the pattern in the shoulders I also had to change my sleeve. I moved the cap over the same amount I moved the back bodice up. This made my sleeve cap go in the right place. It also made my sleeve much smaller in the front and much larger in the back. My sleeve cap is really weird looking now, but it worked.
Another change I made was to slim down the side seams. My muslin was too blousy for my taste. I like things more fitted. Even tunics. If it’s a big billowy thing I will never wear it.
I also shortened the bodice front and back two inches.
Here is list of the changes I have made on my first version shown here and also my next version which I found even more to tweak
- 1 inch forward shoulder adjustment.
- Changed sleeve cap to match shoulder adjustment
- 1/2 inch narrow shoulder adjustment
- 2 inches taken in at sides
- 1 inch FBA.
Yes, it was lot of work and I made two muslins but hopefully my next version will be perfect. I can see myself sewing up this pattern in lots of fabric. It’s easy to sew and it’s also a classic core wardrobe piece. there we go again! Core wardrobe staple. Yawn!
I’ve had this fabric for ages, maybe six years, and am glad to get it out of my stash! This was a good design for it.