I have been participating in some of the weekly challenges at The Sew Weekly. This weeks challenge was to refashion an old and neglected garment.This dress above started out as a shirtdress from the 90′s. It was really long and boring looking before I refashioned it We went to the old Fillmore train station near our home to take these photos.
The above two photos are what the dress looked like when I brought it home. I liked the fabric and the fit was good so I removed the top bodice, cut a new skirt from the old skirt fabric, and drafted an under bust waist band. I also shortened the sleeves and added some vintage rick- rack trim.
My Design Inspiration:
A forties six gore shirtwaist dress.
Source: google.com via
Creating A Six Gore Skirt:
I drafted a basic skirt pattern. For a basic skirt drafting tutorial click here.
I slashed the skirt were I wanted the gore seam to be.
I traced the pieces to another larger paper and added the flare starting just below my hip line. Then I added my seam allowances.