The past few weeks I haven't made much for myself and I felt like making something fun for spring.
I have always wanted to make myself a romper so I did.
I have been working away on projects for Gigi and Lily's spring collection, entering them in The Project Run And Play Flickr pool and I have yet to win a challenge over there! It's good fun, anyway. This is the last week so hop by and check it out! I will be posting my project on Friday.
I also have some guest post tutorials I am working which I am pretty excited about!
The weather has been gorgeous and we have been spending a lot of time outdoors with Gigi, our almost three year old, trying to savor the brief time of her early childhood while her siblings are at school. It goes so fast...
I have to show you one of Richard's roses. He is an amazing gardener.
Fun in the garden this week....
learning to catch the ball...
watering the tomatoes..... or is it tomatos?
Back to sewing now....
I quite like how my romper way turned out, as you can see from my pleased expression above.
Yes, I am over forty and and no I don't give a hoot if people think over 40 is too old for a romper!
The description on the pattern from the 1940's describes this outfit as a "playsuit". Somehow those two words, playsuit and romper do feel a bit too, juvenile perhaps?
How about short suit ?
It was sheer luck it happened to fit almost perfectly as I cut it straight from the pattern and didn't fit it first. I wear a size 16 in 1940's patterns. After getting over the initial shock of wearing a size 16 in anything, I have realized that any size 16 patterns from the 40's always fit me pretty much perfectly and I rarely have to adjust them or make a muslin.
I usually have to adjust modern patterns a lot.
There is a tiny gap below my waist. I'll have to add a hook and eye or cut down on the bread!
I love how 40's patterns fit with the high waistline. And I love the sleeves from the forties!
I will have to wear this "playsuit" on my confident day as it is very LOUD!
The fabric is a vintage madras I had in my stash that I bought for around two dollars.
Once again, I was lucky as I didn't lay out my pattern on the fabric to see if I had enough. As it was, I had to piece together the scraps left to make the undercollar. I had literally NO FABRIC left after I cut all the pieces.
This is our dog Milo. We call him Smilo as you can see from his cheeky grin!